Home About Video Programme Divisions Visits FAQ Application ContactUs


Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the English Language Proficiency Requirement for applying PhD programmes in The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)?
In order to apply for the Summer Workshop, English proficiency exam results are NOT required at this moment. You only need to submit them when you apply for admission to CUHK postgraduate programmes in late 2017. For the entry requirement as set forth by the Graduate School of CUHK, please visit: https://www.gs.cuhk.edu.hk/page/EntryRequirements


2. How long is the study period of PhD programme in CUHK?
The normative study period is 4 years.


3. I only have the Chinese version of academic transcript. Is it acceptable for registration to to the Summer Workshop?
Yes, Chinese version is acceptable for applying the Summer Workshop. However, you will still need to submit English academic transcripts when you formally submit your postgraduate programme applications in late 2017.


4. About VISA/entry permit application

a) I am notified of acceptance by the Summer Workshop. What kind of VISA / entry permit should I apply to come to Hong Kong?
For participants who come from Mainland China, please apply for the standard tourism VISA. Since you are not yet the students in CUHK, "student VISA" is not applicable. Also, the Individual Visit Scheme (自由行) may help those who live close to those authorized 50 cities in the mainland (For more information, please visit: http://www.tourism.gov.hk/english/visitors/visitors_ind.html). If you need a formal invitation letter to apply for a VISA/entry permit, please make the request to us by email. For participants who come from other countries, please follow the guidelines of your home countries.

b) Processing time
It normally takes 4 weeks to process a visit / transit visa / entry permit application upon receipt of all the required documents. Students are responsible for obtaining their visa / entry permit in time.

For more information about VISA / entry permit, please visit the website of HKSAR Immigration Department: http://www.immd.gov.hk/hkt/services/visas/visit_transit.html



For more enquiry, please contact Faculty of Engineering at CUHK via email at phd@erg.cuhk.edu.hk




July 10-14, 2017 (Mon - Fri)

Main Campus, The Chinese University of Hong Kong


Workshop Leaflet Download




HKPFS Workshop in Archive: